Saturday, April 18, 2009

Genius is Genius.

I haven't blogged in a while, much to the disgust of Gab (whom hasn't blogged either) so here is my "make-up" blog.

Little - to nothing - interesting has really happened this week, or last week infact except for me discovering iTunes Genius.
Do you know what that is? For those who don't, it is an application on your iTunes.
Here is a step by step play on how to use Genius.

1. Select a song, for example, Brianstorm - The Arctic Monkeys.
2. Click the tiny star at the bottom of the iTunes screen which, when the mouse is dragged over the logo, says GENIUS.
3. iTunes scans the internet at lightning speeds to find songs that sound similar or are by similar artists to the song/artist you have selected.
4. iTunes finds these songs on your iTunes and makes a playlist of 25 songs it has found which you may find simlar to the song you originally selected.

Personally, I think its pretty amazing.
Its crazy accurate too. For arguments sake, I am actually going to Genuis "Brianstorm"... here is the playlist I got.

  1. Brianstorm - Artctic Monkeys
  2. Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
  3. Golden Skans - Klaxons
  4. The Age of the Understatement - Last Shadow Puppets
  5. Standing in the Way of Control - The Gossip
  6. In the Morning - Razorlight
  7. Same Jeans - The View
  8. The Prayer - Bloc Party
  9. Great DJ - The Ting Tings
  10. Monster - The Automatic
  11. Fans - Kings of Leon
  12. Never Miss a Beat - Kaiser Chiefs
  13. Juicebox - The Strokes
  14. Whistle for the Choir - The Fratellis
  15. It's Not Over Yet - Klaxons
  16. Blue Orchid - White Stripes
  17. Banquet - Bloc Party
  18. Wide Awake - The Twang
  19. Before I Fall to Pieces - Razorlight
  20. Old Yellow Bricks - Arctic Monkeys
  21. Last Night - The Strokes
  22. On Call - Kings of Leon
  23. Do You Want To? - Franz Ferdinand
  24. Hate to Say I Told You So - The Hives
  25. Lets Make Love and Listen to Death From Above - CSS

If you haven't heard of any of those bands, don't be shocked. They are mostly obscure English shoegazers. Just trust me when I say, all these songs and artists are in some way similar or complimenting to the Arctic Monkeys. Its actually an amazing playlist and again, I am very impressed by the power of technology.
Also, considering I have 3 Arctic Monkey's albums on my iTunes, only 1 other song by them is chosen, so it is not a cop out at all.
Songs I haven't heard in ages, or even, ever, pop up every now and then too which is a nice surprise because most of them are quite good and I discover a new song which I have owned for however long.
iTunes also has a bar on the far right of other songs/artists who would fit into this playlist which you do not own. It allows you to sample the songs and then purchase if you please. Amazing.

The only complaint I have is when I selected An Horse, (indie Australian two piece), I was given the ultimate lezzy jam. Tegan and Sara, The Gossip, Kaki King, Bikini Kill and The Sounds.
As much as I like all these bands, its a bit of a typecast isn't it?
Just because one band has a lesbian member, they must sound like other lesbian member bands.
I had to go and listen to KISS and Guns 'n Roses afterwards to even it out.

All in all, iTunes has finally done something right. Loves it.

On another note, my band, The Quarters, has a blog.
www.thequartersband.blogspot.com follow that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment